Javelin O gauge Black 5 (part the first)

I was recently tasked, by a fellow modeller at my club, with completing/rebuilding a Javelin O gauge Black 5 loco. kit.
From what I can gather, this kit/model was purchased from the widow of another modeller. Apparently there were two kits (partially completed) and the other one is in the custody of her son, who, apparently serves in the Royal Navy as a submariner based at Faslane, so is virtually impossible to get hold of, as he may be somewhere under the world's oceans for 6 months or more.

At first glance, the tender is more or less complete.






BUT! There are various issues elsewhere, especially concerning the loco body and chassis.

Here are photos of what I received in this project:







Frets and stuff





Wheel sets:

That's all very well, but there are many parts missing.

  •  Instructions. (This has since been rectified with many thanks to Toto at the Platform1 forum [ https://platform1mrc.com/p1mrc/index.php ] ). Thankfully the instructions include a full list of parts used in this kit.)
  • Axles - easily available from Slaters.
  • Buffer heads. I think that I'll have to replace the buffer bodies and obtain a set of sprung LMS Stanier buffers at some date.
  • Backhead. The complete set of castings for the firebox backhead is missing. (I'll address this with a 3D printed backhead along with bits made from brass tubing and opper wire.
Looking at the valve gear, I am wondering how to address issues that are present.

Meanwhile, as the primed body components look as if the wrong type of primer has been used (it's just chipping away from the base metal) my first job will be to strip all the paint from everything.

Another issue that I've noticed is that some of the components on the loco body are not securely fixed:
  • Cab roof on left hand side
  • Smokebox saddle on right hand side
  • Some of the pipework on the boiler casing
This may need a complete stripdown.

Comments

Popular Posts